Experience the Magic of Live Theatre
Bring your students to a matinee performance of our mainstage productions. Student matinees include a study guide to prepare before the show and a talkback with the production to deepen learning after the show.
- All Student Matinees begin at 10:30 am
- Student tickets are $12/student or free for eligible schools*
- Chaperone tickets are free
- Bus reimbursement available for eligible schools*
- Each student show comes with a study guide and post-show talkback with the production and education staff
- Workshops with artists are available for all shows for an additional fee.
- All productions are suitable for students in 8th grade and older unless otherwise indicated.
*If you are a Chicago Public School where the majority of your students qualify for free and reduced lunches, you may be eligible for free tickets and bus reimbursement. Contact us at email@example.com to confirm your eligibility or indicate your interest via the reservation form below.
Click below to reserve your tickets for the 22-23 season!Get Your Tickets
Student Matinees for the 2022-2023 School Year
The Porch on Windy Hill – Tuesday, May 9th at 10:30am
by Sherry Lutken, Lisa Helmi Johanson, Morgan Morse & David M. Lutken, Conceived and directed by Sherry Lutken
Thursday, April 27
A young violinist and her song collector boyfriend flee the confines of their Brooklyn apartment to the mountains of North Carolina, where the Appalachian music of Mira’s childhood is just the authentic inspiration they’re searching for. When they descend on her old family home, and an estranged grandfather she’s never mentioned, the unexpected complexity of past pain, prejudice, joy, and discovery reveals itself through the music that binds them. Featuring bluegrass favorites and the foot-stomping, hand-clapping finest of American roots music. (Approx run time 2 hrs)
Curriculum Connections: Bluegrass Music, Vietnam War, Generational Trauma
All matinees include a study guide to help teachers better prepare their students for the show. Study guides for this school year will be made available one month prior to each matinee.
The Porch on Windy Hill Study Guide
Pre/Post Show Workshops
- Northlight Teaching Artist can conduct a pre and/or post show workshop at your school around the themes and theatricality of our current production.
- A member of the show’s artistic team will lead a pre-show workshop, preceding the student matinee at 9:00am, which connects students directly to the artists involved in the production to learn first-hand how the show is created.
- Prices start at $110 per hour.
If you have any questions about student matinees, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
NORTHLIGHT EDUCATION PROGRAMS SUPPORTED BY LEAD SPONSOR RALLA KLEPAK FOUNDATION FOR EDUCATION IN THE PERFORMING ARTS
Northlight is grateful to Ralla Klepak Foundation for Education in the Performing Arts for their generous support which provides resources to our community’s youth to engage with our theatre arts education programs.