Students attend matinees of mainstage productions at little cost supplemented with workshops, study guides, and post-show discussions. To enhance the matinee experience, the (optional) pre-show Artist Engagement workshop connects students directly to the artists involved in the production.
- Three Show Subscription: $10 tickets for students
- Single Show Subscription: $12 tickets for students
- All teachers and chaperones attend for FREE
- Pre- & Post- Show Workshops: for an additional $150 per classroom a Northlight Teaching Artist can conduct a pre- and post- show workshop at your school around the themes and theatricality of our current production.
- For an additional $5 per student, students can partake in our pre-show Artist Engagement workshop, preceding the student matinee at 9:00am, which connects students directly to the artists involved in the production to learn first-hand how the show is created.
- Study guides consist of breakdowns of plot and character, as well as information about the author and discussions of themes and setting of the play. These cross-disciplinary guides are designed for students attending our Season Access matinees, but are a valuable resource for audience members of all ages!
2018-19 Season Access dates
CURVE OF DEPARTURE
Plays SEP 13 – OCT 21, Season Access: OCT 11
By Rachel Bonds | Directed by BJ Jones
In a cramped New Mexico motel room, a “ragtag little group of humans” gathers on the eve of a funeral. But the dearly departed is not their only concern, as they grapple with the decisions of an uncertain future. Northlight favorite Mike Nussbaum returns as the patriarch of an unconventional family in this delicate and gently comic drama.
Plays NOV 8 – DEC 16, Season Access: DEC 6
By Kate Hamill | Directed by Stuart Carden
When shy but clever Fanny Price is sent away by her impoverished parents, she must learn to navigate life as the poor relation at her aunt and uncle’s wealthy estate. Fanny soon learns that beneath the glitter of wealth and status, people aren’t always what they seem, in a new take on the classic social satire by Jane Austen. WORLD PREMIERE.
NINA SIMONE: FOUR WOMEN
Plays JAN 24 – MAR 3, Season Access: FEB 7
By Christina Ham | Directed by Kenneth L. Roberson
In the aftermath of 1963’s 16th Street Baptist Church bombing, Nina Simone transformed from songstress to activist with powerful anthems such as “Mississippi Goddam,” “Old Jim Crow,” and “To Be Young, Gifted and Black.” Celebrate Ms. Simone’s lasting legacy in this provocative and personal musical journey.
Plays MAR 14 – APR 21, Season Access: APR 4
By Sharyn Rothstein | Directed by Jess McLeod
Self-made landlord Marti and her new tenant Christine strike up a tentative friendship, though neither can afford the luxury of forgetting her own best interests. Faced with impossible dilemmas of fairness versus kindness, they reveal the vulnerability of people who know the value of having a home, and the threat of losing one. WORLD PREMIERE.
INTO THE BREECHES!
Plays MAY 9 – JUN 16, Season Access: MAY 23
By George Brant | Directed by Jessica Thebus
It’s 1942 and with the men off at war, the Oberon Play House season will be canceled… until the director’s wife rallies the troops at home for an all-female production. With the opportunity to move from the sidelines to centerstage, the women forge ahead with a spirit of collaboration, and a belief in the power of art to move us forward.
If you need help selecting appropriate shows for your students, are interested in adding a matinee date (for groups of 100+), or are interested in booking a group for our student matinees, please contact Mara Stern, Director of Education, at email@example.com or 847.324.1607.