Students attend matinees of mainstage productions at little cost supplemented with workshops, study guides, and post-show discussions. To enhance the matinee experience, the (optional) pre-show Artist Engagement workshop connects students directly to the artists involved in the production.
- Three Show Subscription: $10 tickets for students
- Single Show Subscription: $12 tickets for students
- All teachers and chaperones attend for FREE
- Pre- & Post- Show Workshops: for an additional $150 per classroom a Northlight Teaching Artist can conduct a pre- and post- show workshop at your school around the themes and theatricality of our current production.
- For an additional $5 per student, students can partake in our pre-show Artist Engagement workshop, preceding the student matinee at 9:00am, which connects students directly to the artists involved in the production to learn first-hand how the show is created.
- Study guides consist of breakdowns of plot and character, as well as information about the author and discussions of themes and setting of the play. These cross-disciplinary guides are designed for students attending our Season Access matinees, but are a valuable resource for audience members of all ages!
2017-18 Season Access dates
THE LEGEND OF GEORGIA MCBRIDE
Plays SEP 14 – OCT 22, Season Access: OCT 12
By Matthew Lopez | Directed by Lauren Shouse
When a drag show takes over the entertainment at the Florida Panhandle bar, a down-on-his-luck Elvis impersonator does what it takes to keep his job – including stepping into some high heels. This heartwarming, music-filled comedy celebrates the unexpected path to finding your true voice. CHICAGO PREMIERE
THE BOOK OF WILL
Plays NOV 9 – DEC 17, Season Access: DEC 7
By Lauren Gunderson | Directed by Jessica Thebus
Armed with wit, humor, a deep camaraderie and a passion to preserve the plays that shaped their lives, the members of Shakespeare’s own company cunningly navigate the production of the 1623 First Folio. MIDWEST PREMIERE
Plays JAN 25 – MAR 4, Season Access: FEB 8
By Dominique Morisseau| Directed by Ron OJ Parson
At the start of the Great Recession, workers at one of the last auto plants in Detroit confront the life-altering choices they must make if their plant goes under. When pushed to the limits of survival, how far over the lines are people willing to cross? MIDWEST PREMIERE
THE BEAUTY QUEEN OF LEENANE
Plays MAR 15 – APR 22, Season Access: APR 5
By Martin McDonagh | Directed by BJ Jones
Forty-year-old spinster Maureen Folan lives with her manipulative aging mother Mag, stuck in a caretaking relationship that has them both seething with resentment. When a romantic encounter finally sparks Maureen’s hopes for an escape, Mag’s interference sets in motion a chain of events that is as tragically funny as it is terrifying.
CRY IT OUT
Plays MAY 10 – JUN 17, Season Access: MAY 24
By Molly Smith Metzler | Directed by Jessica Fisch
Cooped up on maternity leave and eager for conversation, neighbors Jessie and Lina start meeting for coffee and quickly bond over their shared “new mom” experience. This insightful comedy takes an honest look at the absurdities and challenges of new parenthood. CHICAGO PREMIERE
If you need help selecting appropriate shows for your students, are interested in adding a matinee date (for groups of 100+), or are interested in booking a group for our student matinees, please contact Mara Stern, Director of Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847.324.1607.